Tuesday, August 5, 2008

BIRDSONGS OF THE MESOZOIC-S/T EP, 1983, USA





Founded by former Mission Of Burma member Roger Miller, Birdsongs Of The Mesozoic represented a complete departure from the guitar-centric post punk strategies he investigated in MOB. Abandoning his axe in favor of piano, the work he instigated in Birdsongs (alongside Martin Swope, Rick Scott and Space Negros founder Erik Lindgren) remains completely sui generis. Taking cues from both the modern classical canon and the systemic minimalism of Glass and Reich and welding them to a carapace of rhythm machine pound and R.I.O-ish angular astringency, this debut EP finds them in complete command of a radically new musical vocabulary thats uniquely their own.


I've just been informed that this amazing EP has been reissued on Cuneiform as part of a 2xCD comprehensive collection of all of Birdsongs Of The Mesozoic's early recordings. Please support these artists and this excellent label and purchase a copy for yourself.
It can be found Here

8 comments:

zosa said...

Thanks for this one. I still have this and all of there other vinyl...been meaning to get it all digitized....Thanks

Anonymous said...

Huge thanks for this one. I love, love that DIY, early American RIO approach. Must be rare as hell. Anyone knows how much this fetches on eBay lately?

Also, Eric, do you remember which were other releases on Ace Of Hearts?

Mr Fab said...

Hey, I remember these guys! Used to get alot of college radio play, no doubt due to the Mission of Burma connection.

"Orange Ocean" = gorgeous Terry Riley-isms.

vdoandsound said...

Nenad-I don't think any of BOTM's LP's/EP's are exceptionally rare or high dollar items. That said, I have no idea what todays going rate for them is. Got mine ages ago. The only other Ace Of Hearts releases that I know of are the following two BOTM releases, Magnetic Flip and the Beat Of The Mesozoic EP, which will both be featured here in the semi-near future.

mazigazi said...

it's been years since I heard this! thanks a heap!!

Anonymous said...

Eric, I found label online - still operating. Sadly no Mesozoic stuffs there, Burma are still marketed, though. And yeah, they maintain connection anyway - an ad for Dawn of the Cycads can be found, too.

KafkaWasRight said...

THANK YOU!
I was borrowing this from a friend years ago, but I forgot it in my car overnight and it melted. Needless to say, the friend wasn't happy, and neither was I.

Anonymous said...

highly interesting, heard so much about this in casual circles.. thanks.. blume